Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A door opens and the noise of a busy life is heard for a brief moment before the door shuts out the world that hasn't the time to slow down. Time almost seems to stand still in the small comfort of these four walls. A winding mosaic of tile litter the floor and the far wall is brick almost as if it were a large hearth in a person's home. There is a red wall that stretches behind the counter where a shy young woman asks me what I will have to drink. I hear myself answer her inquiry as my voice trails off. My eyes spot a girl who is reading over in the corner. By the look of her she is in her mid-twenties. I catch myself looking at her ring finger to see if there is any hope for me. She wears a silver ring with diamonds around the outside of it. This could be just a bit of jewelry she enjoys wearing or maybe it could be a symbol of her purity. A small voice attempting to be non-intrusive brings me out of my reverie. "Would you like anything else sir?" I try to speak but my mouth has lost all moisture so I shake my head as I pay for my coffee. I find myself wondering who this girl is. She looks up from her book and smiles at someone who passes by and she focus back on her book as she rests her head on her hand. The warmth of her kind smile keeps out the cold wind that threatens to rush in each time the door opens. I take my seat a few chairs over from her and I open my book pretending to read. I doubt my reading is very convincing because it has been several minutes and I haven't turned a page. I work saliva into my mouth as I prepare to dive off of the cliff's edge I'm standing on. The scenery is beautiful but the fall is scary and I'm hoping she will catch me before I hit the ground. "Hello" I tell her. She looks up from her book and smiles and my heart forgets to keep beating. I stammer and look at my feet but realize I am being foolish. "My name is Josh" I hear myself say as I steal another glance at her. "My name is Jenni" she says as she smiles and shakes my hand. We sit in silence for a moment and I go back to looking at my book as I silently scold myself for trying to be brave. I jumped off of the cliff and could feel myself tumbling through the air awaiting the crush of the steadily approaching ground. A voice breaks through my thoughts and I open my eyes and look up to see her gesturing to the chair beside her. "Would you like to sit with me awhile?" At that moment, I'm not sure whether she caught me or I grew wings but my feet never touched the ground, nor did they the rest of that night. The clock struck 10pm and the magic of the evening was drawing nigh. I begrudgingly rose from my chair, put on my coat and bid her goodnight. As I was leaving I could hear the girl behind the counter say "Thanks for coming to Ebenezer's Coffeehouse." I smiled to myself as I placed the phone number I had just received into my jacket pocket and opened the door to leave. The cold outside didn't bother me over much because I knew that it wouldn't be long before I felt the warmth of that coffee shop again.

No comments:

Post a Comment