Tuesday, August 26, 2003

I saw Switchfoot tonight.

I was sitting with some of my friends who weren't big Switchfoot fans. From our vantage point, I could barely hear them. The surging crowd in front of the stage was beckoning me... calling me to get swallowed by it's sweaty mass. I left my friends and found my way down to the floor. I sat and listened awhile, but I started to walk around. I had the feeling of being lost. Thousands of faces I didn't know. Couples holding hands. Large groups talking with each other and watching the band. I lost interest in just listening to my favorite band because I didn't have anyone to do it with.

I love my life. I love my friends, but I want more. I'm not happy with my group of 10-20. I'm not happy with occasionally seeing a familiar face. I want to know every person who goes to this school. There's a difference between me and the discouraged Josser. The discouraged Josser would whine about how he doesn't have any friends. The non-discouraged Josser (that being me) isn't going to whine about his situation but is thinking of ways to improve it.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to make friends, and I'm talking LOTS of friends. I've also figured out a good way to do this. I'm going to take the fairly good sized group of friends I have already and then I'm going to meet their friends, and then I'm going to meet their friends, and then I'm going to meet their friends, and... well you get the idea. I'm trusting God with at least a hundred good friends this year. I'm not looking for popularity. I'm looking for having a vast influence and presence on a vast number of people. I'm going to ask God for this and will live in the knowlege that if he wills it, it will happen. All I need to do is pray for it, and then sit back and watch the friends start rolling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment