Sunday, August 03, 2003

Delayed gratification:

Working more than a 100 hours and still being broke. I am dying of anticipation and that next paycheck still seems painfully distant. This town is about as small as Gainesville, and is about as spread out as Orlando. I've found this by being my local restaurant taxi service. It turns out that 90% of my co-workers are either 1) not old enough to drive 2) too poor to afford a mode of transportation or 3) just wanting to take advantage of my inability to say "no." A few days ago, I drove 3 different co-workers places. One other time I lent my car to one of them because they didn't have any way of getting home.

After work last night I went to the restaurant next door to have a beer with some of my co-workers. It's funny how a little alcohol can loosen someone's tongue. Between the haze of the smoke and the loud music they gave me bits and pieces of their past. With the smell of bourbon or beer on their breath they told me the reason why God hated them. Alcohol numbing the nerves and working like a drug, they didn't feel any pain when their insides spilled out onto the table.

Pat is expecting her first child at age 35. She's afraid and excited about bringing it into the world. She is poor and has been through some rough times including her brother getting shot in the neck and getting paralyzed. She was a nice friendly woman and at the first, looked a woman on the verge of denying God forgiveness. After talking to her I found out that she was just confused and wanted to know the "why." I hope even my cliche words of God having a plan encouraged her.

Gary and Colby have dated for about a year now and are getting ready to move down South. Colby is moving to Orlando and Gary is finishing up college in a college in North Carolina. They can't keep their arms off of eachother. Joe's dating a girl and is uncertain whether he wants to stay with her. Ramona is married with children and is pissed off at the world. Keith is insecure and is really concerned with how others think of him, namely girls. Damon's gay and has a drinking problem.

I'm excited about being with these people for however long God gives me to spend with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment