Friday, March 29, 2013

Shades of orange and red and white is all I can see as I stare at the back of my eye lids. Dry Texas heat warms my face and I can feel the soft tickle of the cool grass through my thin plaid shirt. The only sound I hear is the Weepies through my earphones as I bask in the warmth of the day. I briefly open my eyes to steal a glimpse of my surroundings. Romantics sprawled out on the grass. A father walking behind a curious toddler intent on exploration. A husband's quiet conversation to their spouse on a park bench. This raw state of happiness is only made more fine with the realization that these familiar people surrounding me are my friends. I close my eyes again and get lost in the perfect playlist...

Joshua Radin's raspy voice gives way to Deb Talan's lone beautiful song that fills one with a sense of nostalgia.  A confusing mixture of sadness and happiness intermingles as I tap into the wealth of rich memory that surrounds each friend. Every late night conversation and every word of advice.  Every knowing silence from a listener and every knowing laugh from one of many inside jokes.  Each memory flits across my mind and fills the reservoir of my heart to breaking.  As I wipe my moist eyes with the back of my hand, I abandon myself to the musically induced coma that washes over me as Iron & Wine lulls me into a happy and contented sleep.


1 comment:

  1. Sooo many treasured memories of the EastWood Possee ... a fabulous group of guys that God has blessed you with over the years. You are truly blessed with wonderful life long friends, son.

    ReplyDelete