Sunday, February 29, 2004

It seems to be that time of year when everyone is either getting married or splitting up.

I seem to be the neutral third party in this affair. I see the good and the bad. I take none of the risk, and experience none of the gain whether it be positive or negative. I am tucked safely away from the action. I'm safe and out of harms way. Most of the time I enjoy holding this position. It enables me to be that cool single guy. You know, the one that you ask advice from because you can't talk to your boyfriend (or previous boyfriend) about it. I'm the guy who lends my shoulder to the person with the wet face, or a kleenex to the one with the wet nose. I'm the best man. I'm the well-wisher. I'm the guy that will "make some girl very happy one day." Of course that implies that the girl who said it isn't her.

Of course there are some downsides to sitting the bench, but to the non-optimistic (I would have put pessimistic, but I didn't know how it was spelled), downsides are all there are, but I like to consider myself an optimist. I see the blessing I have. What do the Christians of the contemporary persuasion call it again? "The gift of singleness?" Well whatever it is, this is where God has me right now. He knows what He's doing, and I don't. He's in control, and I have none. So am I content? If this is what God has for me right now, then I am content.

"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." -Philippians 4:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment