Monday, January 23, 2006

I got to talk to an old friend tonight.

There is something about "catching up" that is like a drug that I can't escape. I cycle through a group of old friends catching up on the details of their lives, and by the time I've cycled through, it's time to start over again. Now the realistic side of me tells me that if I continue doing this, I am assured to either not get done what I need to get done, or I will interminably forfeit my own sleep. It is about three in the morning and I fear that sleep is what I'm giving in exchange for this addiction.

Kellie is a girl who lives in Oregon that I liked for a time. She is about a couple of months away from getting engaged and married to a guy named Mark. He sounds like a cool guy, and I'm happy for her. It was so great to talk about the things we are excited about, and to also know that we understand each other. We've always felt like hearing the other person talk was to hear our own thoughts voiced out loud. I treasure friendships like this. It had been about 4 years since we had gotten a chance to talk at length and it was pretty cool to take 5 minutes and give some of the general information of life, and then to take the next hour or two to be able to dive beneath the surface of shallow conversation.

I love talking about things that matter. It makes me come alive when I can talk to a person about the deepest joys and excitements of my heart. I've found whether friend or more than friend, I can enjoy a conversation built on the foundation of raw and genuine truth. It just blesses my heart to encourage and to be encouraged. It blesses me to know that I read the novel and not the summary. I consider myself to be a big picture person, but when it comes to relationships, I want to know every detail.

Well my eyes are fogging up with lachrymal fluid, and I'm not sure exactly why my body is telling my lachrymal gland to excrete this fluid, but from past experience I know my eyes watering is usually a symptom of sleep deprivation. I guess that's my cue to take off these headphones that are playing praise and worship, do some reading, and then let my mind wander into a dream that will soon be interrupted by the sound of my alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment